Friday, December 2, 2011

In Which I am Well Informed: Making Waffles


Do you find non-fiction objectionable? Do you loathe and abhor self-help books? Do you find memoirs so depressing you think you may go out and beat your neighbor to make yourself feel better? Well...that's how I feel. If you feel the same, you've found the right place. In my feature IN WHICH I AM WELL INFORMED I will be reading something of a non-fiction nature and I will tell you what I've learned from said item. No worries, this is going to be fun!
**I just want to preface this post by saying that all my thoughts are my own and are only meant in fun and not to be offensive. Sometimes life should be laughed at and not taken so seriously. It's better that way.**
Sorry for being a loser with my feature. With all the moving and such it's been too hard to get to get it up and going. However, I'm doing it today because I feel the need to discus food. Oh, and by the way, don't be surprised in December includes a lot of food posts...me thinks Christmas (and other holidays) need more recipes! :D

click image to enlarge and print

Now, don't even tell me you can't cook because I know, I JUST KNOW, that you can bust out this recipe (except if you don't have a waffle maker, LOL). Why do I know? Well, I've made something similar while in a third world country substituting up the yin yang and had to use a fork as my mixer. So, I know you can do this. I'm even going to tell you what to do if you mess up in the middle because, let's face it folks, I've messed up....a lot. :D

1. First off, I want to tell you that I usually double this recipe. When I do that, it produces about 8 waffles. If it's only me and my girlies at home, I still double it and save the batter in the fridge for the next day. Remember, because this batter has raw eggs, it won't keep for too long, even in the fridge.

2. Separate your egg yolks from your egg whites: For this recipe we separate the whites from the yellow part of the egg. This is because you're going to beat the crap out of the whites and make them all nice and fluffy. This in turn makes your waffles fluffy and light. So, crack your egg on the counter top (NOT the edge of a bowl) and break it in half, moving the yolk back and forth between each half of the shell. (if you are wondering why you don't crack your egg on the edge of a bowl, it's because the shell is more likely to break off in little bits and get into your batter)

If you mess up and put white and yolk in the same bowl, grab a metal spoon and, very carefully, dish out the yolk and put it in a mixing bowl.

You're going to want to put your whites in a mixer and turn it on high. They'll look kind of like this when you're done (that's 4 egg whites):
If you don't have a mixer like that one, use a hand mixer. If you don't have a hand mixer, you can beat your whites with a wire whip or a fork. It'll take longer, and you'll need to move your arm really fast (and they won't be as stiff and fluffy as above), but it'll work just fine.

3. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and milk to egg yolks: Remember those yolks you put in a separate mixing bowl? Add your flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and milk to them. I always cheat and make my sugar teaspoons overflowing because I have an affection for sugar. :D After you add that, stir it for a bit. It doesn't need to be stirred all the way because you're going to add it to the whites in the mixer. Also, just for the record, you CANNOT substitute baking soda for baking powder. Baking soda is not the same thing. If you mess up and add soda, you're going to have to start over. Oops!










4. Add mixture in bowl to stiff beaten egg whites: I like to mix up everything in the mixer because it kicks butt and makes things a bit smoother.

5. Mix and then add oil and vanilla: After you mix the above all together (it will be a tiny bit lumpy as waffle batter normally is) add the oil and the vanilla. For the oil, I always add a little bit less (for a double recipe I use 3/4 cup oil) and I use either Canola Oil or Olive Oil. I don't use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) because the flavor in it is a bit stronger. Although, if it's all you have, go ahead and use it, it still works.

6. What type of vanilla should you use: I bet you didn't know there were different types of vanilla! Well, in Europe I couldn't find liquid vanilla extract so I had to use a powder. I used about 1/4 teaspoon of the powder and it worked perfect. Here, in the States, you can use liquid vanilla extract OR Vanilla Emulsion. Now, I know you've probably never heard of emulsion unless you bake often, but there is no alcohol in it (as there is with extract) and the flavor is purer and better. I recommend Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion (as seen to the right). Once you go emulsion, you'll never go back!!

7. Mix Everything: Now, once you have all the ingredients mixed together, pour it on the heated waffle skillet and PRESTO, you have a waffle. You may need to play with the heat a bit to see what you like. Every waffle maker is different. Mine's set at a 3 which gives it a golden brown yumminess. :D


















8. Top it off!: When you pull it out, top it off with whatever floats your waffle boat. I like butter and blue agave nectar. My baby sis dopes her's up with peanut butter and syrup. My mom does butter on part, peanut butter on part and syrup on the whole concoction. Hubby likes his with honey. No matter what, enjoy!!

15 comments:

  1. MMMMM- Yummy Waffles. Let me tell you a story...

    I am a great cook and love to dabble in new stuff, but the one thing I suck at is Waffles and Pancakes...for the life of me I cant make decent ones!!! Ill have to try this recipe.

    LOVE the new background for Christmas..;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina - I've tried other recipes and this one is still my favorite. They are light and fluffy and yummy. The others weren't sweet enough and were too heavy. This recipe actually came from my mom who got it from my father's sister-in-law. I hope you like them! We eat them at least once a week...because I'm addicted. o_o

    ReplyDelete
  3. First... I'm coming over with an empty stomach! YUM

    Second... you've never seen me cook! LOL I can make green chili sauce (which is odd because it is a lot of work) but nothing much else. I guess I lack the motivation, BUT I don't lack the hunger! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... yeah, I don't own a waffle maker. But seriously, who has their own waffle maker? I thought those things were at hotels only.

    Can't wait for more cooking post that I could try. I hate to cook, but love to bake. Bring on the sweets. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nomnomnom!

    Those look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Do you ever do them as dessert waffles? Topping them with ice cream, choc syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream equals instant heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um I love you... And NOW I'm starving!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would do them as dessert waffles for sure! Thanks for all the tips I am a pathetic cook - I would starve if not for my mum!

    pst, pst...my mum adds yeast powder instead of baking powder and the waffles are still great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I forgot to add - I love your new blog's design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I can smell those waffles through my iPad and I just want to nom them until my belly takes over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM!!! Can you make these for me, please!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dammit. Now I really want waffles. Those look absolutely delicious, they have me wanting to lick my screen in a way reserved previously for only my book boyfriends. Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love waffles, but my husband is the breakfast guy in our house. His specialty is pancakes, so we usually end up with those on Sunday morning. No complaints, though. His p-cakes are delish!

    These waffles look really yummy. Makes me want to convince him to give 'em a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I now have a craving for waffles. I wonder why....

    Oh, and there *is* liquid vanilla extract in Europe, btw (actually, i've never found it in powder form, I had no idea it existed, even)
    I love your wintery design too, it's awesome



    Just a little random thing: that particular way of beating the egg whites (where they're all white and fluffy and firm) is called in Portuguese "castle egg whites". kinda weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I love big fluffy waffles. I smother them with fresh whipped cream and pie filling (strawberry or blueberry are awesome). Wish I had a waffle iron-you have made me hungry for waffles!

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails