Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interview: Kelley York Author of Hushed


I'd like to welcome Kelley York, author of HUSHED to In the Closet With a Bibliophile, today as part of the HUSHED blog tour. I'm so excited to have her here with us. HUSHED releases December 6th and it's pretty freaking awesome. (see my review HERE)

Interview:


1. The opening scene of HUSHED is one of my favorites because it shows this totally demented side to Archer and how positive he is about his current course in life. What were your feelings while writing that particular scene? And what would you say your most demented quality is?

My thoughts and feelings on it were that I really wanted people to get a solid feeling of what Archer was doing, along with hints as to why. I didn't want an opening chapter that just told the reader that he kills people; I wanted them to see him in action.

As for my own demented quality...probably my sense of humor. It can be far too inappropriate and wrong at times.

2. Archer prefers to be at home in a quiet setting with a small number of people while Vivian is the social butterfly of epic proportions. On which end of the scale to you normally tip?

I'm definitely a hermit. I like being home reading, watching TV, playing video games, whatever. Even when I do go out, I avoid crowded places and big groups. My usual outings involve going to cemeteries or interesting places to take pictures.

3. My very very favorite character in the book is Evan. But, I could never fully understand his attraction to Archer. If I were to ask Evan what first grabbed his attention with Archer and what made him keep coming back trying to pick up the relationship, what would he tell me?

If you asked Evan what he sees in Archer? He'd say something incredibly tongue-in-cheek like "Myself" or "He has pretty eyes." The truth of the matter is Evan sees the good in people. He meets introverted, self-criticizing, intelligent Archer who's pretty well broken, and he wants to pick up the pieces. Along the way he starts catching hints of the Archer he falls in love with. The guy who's broken, yes, but also incredibly loyal, sweet, and dry-humored.

4. HUSHED revolves hugely around murder and death. Were there any scenes that were really difficult for you to write? If so, which ones?

No, not really. (Maybe that's my demented quality, huh?) There were scenes that were difficult in the sense that I did a lot of research, because I wanted to make the murders realistic. But nothing that ‘bothered’ me to write.

5. You have a lot of furry friends living in your household. I was going to list them, but then I was worried I'd miss some. So, can you tell me what animals you currently have in your family and if you could pick any animal to adopt--exotic, reptilian, fish, etc...--what would it be and why?

Currently, we have: 3 rats (Noah, Grimmy, Gin), 3 cats (Irish, Noel, Quinn), a Winter White hamster (Exquisite), and a teddy-bear hamster (Hope). If I could have anything I would probably want a dog. A German Shepherd mix of some sort (I like mutts). After my dog of 15-ish years passed away, I never got another one because of time constraints and where I'm living, but I miss it. On the slightly random side...I’ve always wanted a fox.

6. Like Evan, I love to swim more than anything. If I were able to jump into HUSHED and I asked Evan why he loved to swim, what would he say? What's his favorite stroke and why?

"It helps me clear my head," he'd say. He likes the backstroke because it's a good workout. Maybe also because it's good for the back and he gets rather tense dealing with everyone else's problems all the time? ;)

7. Often, Evan makes stupid attempts at joking to make Archer laugh. This is something I love because my humor sometimes is totally nonsensical and I tend to crack myself up. What's your favorite Kelley York joke?

I’m terrible at jokes... My way of making people laugh usually comes from random, dry, and sometimes inappropriate remarks at anything and everything. Though once in awhile I’ll look at my wife and ask her, “What do you call a cheese that isn’t yours?” And, despite the way she’ll roll her eyes to the ceiling and sigh, I’ll giggle stupidly and say, “Nacho cheese.” I’ll never understand why she doesn’t find that as funny as I do.

8. Can you describe HUSHED in exactly three words?

Creepy, morbid, thrilling!

9. Archer is an OCD clean freak and I kinda love him for it. I on the other hand am clean, but have secret messy spots, like my closet and my desk. Are you like Archer on this front, or do you have some surrounding disarray?

I can't stand clutter. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at cleaning. I’ll organize my desk/house/work area/whatever, and it’ll stay clutter-free for a week or two, then start reverting back... Until it drives me crazy enough that I organize it again.

10. What's next for you as far as books go?

I'm working on another contemporary with a male/male romance. It's not a thriller in the way HUSHED is, but I'm super excited about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------


Is it wrong that I totally laughed out loud at that "Nacho Cheese" joke and I've heard it before? o_o And, a fox would be totally awesome. They are so adorable...albeit the wild ones would probably go all rabid on me, but still...adorable. :D Kelley, thanks so much for answering my questions and for visiting my blog.


------------------------------------------------------------------

'Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my
seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was
unputdownable!!!' --- YA Fantasy Guide ---

Author Bio:

Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides
with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she
does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a
fascination with bells, adores all things furry - be them squeaky, barky
or meow-y - is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to
pretend she's a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real
unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid.

Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres
from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers,
paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character
development takes center stage.


Hushed - Synopsis:

He's saved her. He's loved her. He's killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn't protect his best friend, Vivian, from
what happened when they were kids, so he's never stopped trying to protect
her from everything else. It doesn't matter that Vivian only uses him when
hopping from one toxic relationship to another - Archer is always there,
waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who's ever cared about Archer
without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more
Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders
Archer's committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn
him in if she doesn't get what she wants...And what she wants is Evan's
death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

9 comments:

  1. A very nice interview which definitely wants me to read the book MORE. Great questions and very honest answers, thanks! I like it when an author has a demented qualities! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely a hermit as well, I work from home and I just tend to stay here most of the time unless the husband drags me out to dinner or something:) And I can't stand clutter either, I can let it build for only so long and then it tips me over the edge and I have to fix it only to have it happen again just like you said. Vicious cycle:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the questions you gave me. Thanks so much for having me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must not have a sense of humor either because I giggled at the Nacho Cheese joke too. And yeah, I'm a hermit too. Even when I'm out, I can't help but think I'd rather be home and reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh look at Shiba Inu dogs. They have a fox-like quality to them. Every breed has a rescue group and sometimes have mixes. :)

    Btw... Creepy, morbid, thrilling? Sounds like a book I need to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anachronist - I do too! I'm totally unhinged myself, so I love when an author is! :D

    @Jenny - I'm the same. I work from home and rarely leave except to the store and to meet with clients (or to have bagels with friends *wink*)! The vicious circle of clutter is evil!

    @Kelley - Thanks! I have way too much fun coming up with them and I'm always worried authors are going to be frustrated with my wonky questions. I just think it makes interviews more fun to read. :D Thanks for answering them!

    @Rummanah - See! I totally giggled. I giggle at those Laffy Taffy jokes though. I think they are hilarious. In fact, I buy the popsicles with the jokes on them just because of the jokes. :D

    @Melissa - Ooooo, I have to check out those dogs, they sound so cute! It's totally morbid, btw, Archer is so damaged that it was pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, I actually used to have a Shiba Inu! He was adorable, but, man, he had SO MUCH ENERGY. I moved states and couldn't bring him with me. :( But he went to an awesome family who had a huge farm and a ton of other dogs to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such an incredibly powerful book, and the interview was brilliantly insightful! What a great Q and A on both accounts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! How do you get the cats to get along with the mice and hamsters?

    And Yay for Team hermit!

    P.S. I've always wanted a panda...or a penguin. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails