Monday, January 30, 2012

The Perfect Dish by Kristen Painter

Title: The Perfect Dish
Author: Kristen Painter
Pages: 272
Published: December 17th, 2010
Procured: Downloaded from Amazon for free while on sale
Summary:

Texas-born Kelly Spicer is not just one of Manhattan's hottest young chefs, he's also one of the city's most eligible bachelors. Desperate to help his grieving sister, Kelly uses the magic cookbook passed down through his family's generations to conjure up a recipe of chocolate-laced persuasion to enlist the help of the only woman he thinks can reach his sister.

Psychologist Meredith Black has buried two husbands, an experience which has made her an expert in grief and pushed her to pen two books that landed her on the Oprah show and the best seller list. A cynic in matters of the heart, her success does nothing to ease her belief that she's a jinx. She vows never to love again and when she makes that sentiment public, dating Kelly becomes her best damage control.

My Thoughts:

Funny at times, The Perfect Dish wasn't exactly what I expected. Kelly Spicer, Famous Chef in New York City, wants nothing more than to help his sister get over the death of her husband. Using a little extra persuasion from his family's magical cookbook, he convinces the best selling psychologist and grief author Meredith Black to help his sister try and get pass the startling grief. However, there is a lot Kelly doesn't know about Meredith and his heart has a mind of its own.

I had originally downloaded The Perfect Dish for 2 reasons. First, it was by Kristen Painter and I'm a huge fan of her Blood Rights series. Second, it was free and that hit on my one and only challenge for the year, Why Buy the Cow. I'm sad to say though, I only liked this book. It wasn't really that bad and one of the reasons I only liked it is truly a personal thing.

The Perfect Dish, was mostly well written. Kristen Painter does an excellent job of winding up a story that makes the reader want to continue on. My only real problem with the story line though is the magical cookbook. It was such a small portion of the book that it almost seemed like it wasn't necessary. Like the whole book could have stood on its own without the "magical cookbook". I would have loved if the magical cookbook would have been a bigger part of the story, but I like paranormal aspects in books.

Now, my personal "thing" with the book. What do you all think when you see that cover? I think, with such a large whisk, this book has some tantalizing promise of some excellent romance scenes. That is where my complaint comes in. Now remember, this is truly a personal thing. My complaint is quite a few peoples joy. There were no "bedroom" scenes. There was all this buildup and tension complete with a shirt ripping in the back of a taxi cab, and no follow up detail. I don't mind a clean romance, but you have to understand that there were quite a few instances that hinted at the nature of this book not being a clean romance and that's kind of why I wanted to read it. Anyway, like I said, personal opinion.

Overall though, the story was pretty good. I still enjoy Kristen Painter's writing and pacing and I think she has a knack for writing good books. There were a few characters that could have used further development and Meredith was stubborn as hell which was something I liked about her. So, I give The Perfect Dish a 3 out of 5 and recommend it to those who enjoy Adult Fiction with a touch of the Paranormal. Also, it's fairly clean as in there are no sex scenes, you just know they are going on and there is not really any swearing. I'd probably rate it a PG-13 on a movie scale.


16 comments:

  1. What?! With a whisk that large, you'd think someone would be getting whipped! LOL

    Oh, my jokes are so lame sometimes. Yes, you know me. I need my sexual tension moments to have a big pay off! I mean come on!

    And I think it's crazy that with a book title and cover like that, the cookbook wasn't a more prominent part of the story. It could have at least offered a recipe to a delicious dish for ya.

    I haven't read anything by Kristen Painter, yet, but I do want to get started on that Blood Rights series soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Me and Jenny feel there is a lack of cooking terms in this book associated with sex. The innuendos had such promise! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the disappointing whisk. Tragic that it wasn't described in better detail, words being worth 1,000 pictures in this particular instance:) We've discussed this one and you know I whole-heartedly share your lack-of-sexy time disappointment, but it's good that it was at least well written if not exactly what you expected.

    Also, Missie's joke made me snort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes we did. *giggles* Thank you Erin, Todd and Ben for helping me cope with the lack-of-sexy time. I appreciate all you've taught me. *le sigh*

      Delete
  3. Your line about the whisk made my day! Sounds like this book was a way cleaner read than New Girl. The magic cookbook sounds promising but I am sure I would want more. Honestly, the cover turns me off. I would steer away just because of the cover. Another one for Jenny's list! Thanks for making me laugh. I will not look at my whisk the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That whisk had such promise. I mean, that thing is huge. Why put it in the hands of a mostly naked man and not do anything with it?!?! I liked the cover because of the whisk. Covers like that make me giggle. :D

      Delete
  4. Ok now...i just got rid of a TON of dishes and none of them looked like that.......whats up with Kohls man...I want hot dishes in my cabinets!!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you checked all the isles? Maybe he was located in between appliances and tableware? HAHAHAHA! I'd go to Kohls right now if he was in the isle. I'm telling you, that whisk is a must.

      Delete
  5. OKAY!!! I just got rid of a ton of dishes and none of them looked like that!! Whats up with Bed Bath and Beyond?? I want to buy hot dishes for my kitchen cabinets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Im so awesome I had to comment twice with different stores....HAHAHA

      Delete
    2. BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think Awesome may be jealous of you. I don't think you checked the "Beyond" section at Bed Bath and Beyond. Didn't you ever see "Click"? I think he should be what's behind those closed doors!

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, if I'm going to read an adult book I want me some hardcore smex. Just sayin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Review!!! I think I definitely want to try reading this one, or other books by this author, sounds like something I would enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So... you like a man with a big... whisk? ;) *giggles*

    Sounds like a cute book. I love her writing. It's not free no more unless you have Prime. Darn prime directives. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't think it might be a book for me. You seemed to have fun with it so I am glad but overall, no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this book *thinking* it was free, but it was free for Prime members only #fail. At least you thought it was alright! lol. I need to read Blood Rights...I wonder if my library has it? *goes to check in the middle of commenting* Nope, they do not :( ewww...magical cookbook? I'm not sure about that one either, lol. ewww...no bedroom scenes? I would think the same thing you did...

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails