Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles No.1) by A&E Kirk

Title: Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles)
Author: A&E Kirk
Pages: 404
Published: January 7th, 2012
Summary (Goodreads.com):
For seventeen-year-old Aurora Lahey, survival is a lifestyle.

DEMONIC DESTINY
Aurora has the crappiest superpower on the planet. And it’s just unleashed a hit squad from hell. Demons are on the hunt, salivating to carve her carcass into confetti.

CHARISMATIC KILLERS
The Hex Boys—mysterious, hunky, and notorious for their trails of destruction—have the answers Aurora needs to survive. But their overload of deadly secrets and suspicious motives makes trusting them a potentially fatal move.

LETHAL ALLIES
The battle to save her family, herself, and stop demonic domination may cost Aurora everything worth living for, and force her to reveal her own dark secrets. But no worries. She needs the Hex Boys to pull this off, and, chances are, teaming up with these guys will get her killed anyway.

My Thoughts:

Snarky, fast and furious, Demons at Deadnight by A & E Kirk is fast paced and hilarious, providing an epically fantastic read and and seriously divine experience.

Aurora and her family have just moved back to the town she grew up in. We aren't quite sure why they've moved back, but we know something has spurred this move, beyond the normal reasons. Aurora is welcomed into this small town with a demon shove and a totaled SUV, which is an excellent representation of the pacing of most of the story. While attempting to fight get away from this amazingly grotesque demon, Aurora bumps, and I mean literally, into the sexiness that is her neighbor and some of his friends. The Hexy Knights, six ab-tastic guys made of swoon, are Aurora's friends of old, all grown up. Together, they will run the gauntlet of demons in the hopes that Aurora will come out alive.

Do you think you know paranormal fiction? Well, you probably do, but you don't know the amazingness of it until you've busted out Demons at Deadnight and read it from cover to cover. Aurora is fast on her feet, which is quite important due to the hordes of demons chasing after her, cause you know, they want her dead before she unleashes  death upon them. Aurora, confused beyond belief how she's to deliver these killing blows, just keeps running, attempting with all her might, not to end up dead. She'd like to be alive to keep spending time with her family and lets be honest, with the Hex Boys.

Now, I will never be able to do their personalities justice, but think 6 best friends, all boys, who's washboard abs beg for a rub and I'm sure some tongue. Beyond the hotness are the personalities. Truly witty and fun, the lot is full of the flirtatious, smoldering, brooding, thoughtful and enigmatic. Mystery swirls around their every move and action, begging...no.... PLEADING...with us to find out more about them with the hopes that maybe we can jump into the story and be apart of the Hex group. Each of them has a special power, something that they have to protect the world - beyond their muscles - from the demons at large. Together they play off each other, creating an atmosphere that rinses between intense, hilarious, heart-pounding and anger. It's an emotional Molotov cocktail I'd like thrown in my fiction more often.

Even more than the Hex boys, Aurora is a fun protagonist. Sharp with the retorts and amazingly family oriented, she's well rounded in most areas with only one exception - emotions. As a character, I love seeing her develop and expand, but Aurora has been hurt... a lot. In Demons at Deadnight, she is snarky and pleasant, but she sometimes doesn't seem to let her emotions out except in regard to her family. I personally think this was done on purpose because as Aurora gets past the events in her life, she will realize it's okay to let herself feel. But, at times I wanted to know her deepest darkest thoughts in relation to the events happening. I think that she didn't fully allow herself to feel some of those emotions, but I have a feeling that as the series progresses, she will begin to let herself loosen up and enjoy what her life has become.

With a host of amazing sub characters, Demons at Deadnight shows that books can contain families with thoughtful parents and siblings who you love, but drive you nuts and still be a completely excellent and realistic read. And, I just want to mention, Aurora's guardian angel Gloria. Love her.

Overall, Demons at Deadnight was an exciting and funny read that I can't stop thinking about. The Hex boys will forever dance in my dreams and I can only hope that one day they dance off the pages and into my room. I may have to wait, but until then I give Demons at Deadnight a 4 out of 5 and recommend it to those who enjoy Young Adult Fiction with Paranormal aspects.

20 comments:

  1. It is a fun book! I laughed a lot at the predicaments that Aurora got herself into---at times I thought she was her own worst enemy LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously so true! I have yet to understand why some chicks just don't stick around to talk. Then again, the Hex boys can be overpowering. Not cool, boys!

      Delete
  2. I could definitely see myself laughing out loud while reading this book. And if the character interviews that I've read featuring the Hex boys are any indication, I'll be a swoony-drooly mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes you will. *chants* Long live the Hexy Knights! ;)

      Delete
  3. "I'm sure some tongue."

    *snorts* Yes, I'm sure too. Aurora and the Hexy Knights, were a ton of fun, weren't they. I'm so glad I book bullied you into read this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you bullied me, too! Although, that hazing was quite brutal! ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen! I was just over at Missie's and saw this book listed amiong her book boyfriends and
    i had not heard of it. Six hot boys with abs!?
    Umm sounds like a book I want to dive into plus aliens and demons and it is funny to boot!? Wow Headed over to Amazon to look this up. Great review, Thanks for giving me the heads up on new hotties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so delish! I absolutely loved them! I hope you do, too!

      Delete
  5. Oh and Jen...all your links in the post go to Scarlet on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know! I've just fixed them. I'm so mad at myself for not double checking that.

      Delete
  6. Um... watch that tongue! I mean they are all still so young. I can't have you corrupting my boys! ;)

    This is such a fun book. Can't wait for the next one!

    PS... MINE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my head they are kind of like 24ish or something. Which in all reality isn't so bad. Right? RIGHT?

      I SO can't wait for the next one. *jumps up and down*

      PS...NUH, UH!!

      Delete
  7. This was such a fun book, I was really impressed with the characterization and how well each of the six Hex boys were fleshed out and how they managed to make them unique. I thought surely with 6 of them it would be hard to keep them all straight and we wouldn't get a lot of depth, but I was wrong:) I had some trouble with Aurora sometimes, namely the way she withheld emotions and information the whole way through, but I really enjoyed this one overall.

    Also, back of my boys woman. I will Twitter battle you for them day and night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super fun! I loved reading about all six of them and they were so fabulously developed. I felt like I had a grasp on all of them.

      PS...It. Is. On. This is not going to be pretty!

      Delete
  8. That would be "off" in that last sentence. Not "of". Can't type today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool, autocorrect has become my biggest demon. I'm about to go all stabby on it!

      Delete
  9. I feel like Im outside of the party...:( I must read this right now.....so tonight Im staring it, instead of waiting for the weekend...I have a feeling Ill be fighting all of you for one of these Hex Boys...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Then you can join the Twitter Hexy Knight hour. There will be cupcakes and singing. Oh...and some girl fights. :D

      Delete
  10. I'm loving the sound of this book! And not *just* because of the way you describe the guys :) (There are six of them?! Oh my, and here I thought the River of Time series was a veritable harem of hotness! Well, I suppose you can never have too many attractive men... :P)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you watch live sex cams? You won't forget BongaCams.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails