Friday, March 9, 2012

Chapters 6-10 Kiss Me I'm Irish Read-A-Long


Discussion Questions for Chapters 6 — 10
 
1. In Chapter 6, Atticus goes hunting with Oberon and Flidais. What was supposed to be a fun hunting trip turned rather disastrous. Were you expecting something like this to happen or did it catch you by surprise? Have you ever had something that should have been fun turn disastrous or nearly disastrous?

In all honesty, I definitely wasn't expecting it, but I was very glad to see his necklace provide him some semblance of protection. As for me, more often than naught, something I've been terribly excited for and planned to the hilt turns disastrous. Most of my birthdays turn out that way which is why I have grown to hate them. Also, most of my trips turn out that way. Like when I moved to Albania to be with my husband for the 6 months it took immigration to approve his waiver application...thought it would be good thing....let me just say WORST THING EVER! Me and Albania...we are NOT friends.
 
Although, admittedly, none of my disasters have never ended in canine mauling. OMG, but I just remembered!!!!! There was this one time I had to cross the border into Greece when I lived in Albania. I was probably 4 or 5 months pregnant and I had to cross with my daughter who was only 1.5 years old and I had to walk over the border. So, I push her in the stroller - pregnant and still sick with morning sickness - from the Albanian side all the way down to the Greek side which is literally down this hill and about a 1/2 mile walk (maybe a tad longer). When I get to the other side and get my passport (and my daughters) stamped (I don't speak Greek either) there are a ton of WILD DOGS! My daughter sees them and gets all excited and when she starts making noise, they come at us. LIKE EFFING COME AT US snarling and racing and...and...!! I really don't know if I've ever been so scared. The Greek border police come running with their batons and help to chase them away, but those dogs were awfully close and OMG, so freaky...lots of sharp teeth and foaming mouths. Thinking about them right now makes my heart pound.


2. We are only briefly introduced to the witches (or, a witch) in chapter 7. What are your first impressions? How much would you trust the witches? Why?

If I was Atticus (and I may be cheating) I would totally NOT trust them. Mostly because the man is 2100 years old, he's had experience with witches in the past and it hasn't turned out pleasant. It kind of sounds like everyone is playing a game and Atticus has to play his part as well.

3. Oberon says, “With dogs you just go up and smell their asses and you know where you stand. It’s so much easier. Why can’t humans do that?” Do you ever wish there was an easier way to find out where you stand with someone (besides Oberon’s suggestion, of course)? In what cases would it be easier or better to hide your true feelings?

HAHAHA! I don't know, ass smelling could be interesting. I definitely wish there was a better way to get to know people so we know where we stand. I hate all the stupid *insert a couple swear words here* games we have to play and I would imagine Atticus does to. I'm 28 and annoyed. I cannot begin to understand how much they would suck at age 2100.
  
4. Chapter 9 makes Atticus’ life much more difficult: the witches are in some way working with Aeghus Og, Bres comes after Atticus, and more trouble appears at the end of the chapter. Have you made sense of what has happened thus far? Any predictions for what might happen?

I don't think I can answer this one in good conscious, but I'm going to anyway because my conscious has never been the best guide. ;) I think that Atticus is going to try his best to get out of this sticky situation, but Bres was an ass and totally got what he deserved. Plus, I find it hilarious that he wore that armor, so Atticus needed to kill him for that sake. As for what will happen after. There are always ramifications for killing a god. As to what they will be in this instance...I digress....

5. Atticus has had plenty of time to cultivate attitudes and ethics that would allow him to live a very long time. What do you think it is about Atticus that has allowed him to live for as long as he has? 

I think that (a) he has a long memory. By that I mean remembering what to stay away from and what he can use to help him through certain times and wars is huge, (b) living humbly. As in he doesn't flaunt and live flamboyantly therefore fading to the background in a nice normal way. And (c) power. His strength and earth powers and how he is always trying to improve them and find ways to strengthen his power have given him a head above others.
                                                                                                                                    

PS: If you have any questions for Kevin Hearne, Atticus, or Oberon post them in the comments! Kevin has agreed to answer your pressing questions: aka where do we get an Oberon? Anytime you think of one leave it during the read-a-long - we will gather them up and send them along to Kevin! 
                                                                                                                                     

Looking for next week's questions? Visit Ash of Smash Attack Reads! to grab them!


Hounded Discussion Schedule:
March 02nd: Chapters 1-5 hosted by Geeky Blogger's Book Blog
March 09th: Chapters 6-10 hosted by On a Book Bender
March 16th: Chapters 11-15 hosted by Smash Attack Reads!
March 23rd: Chapters 16-20 hosted by In the Closet With a Bibliophile
March 30th: Chapters 21-25 + epilogue hosted by The Unread Reader
April 06th: Special interview with Kevin Hearne & announcement of winners!

What you could win:
Everyone who signs up for the read-along and participates each week will be entered for a chance to win one of three prizes. Best part: there will one winner per prize! The first name drawn will get first choice and so on. Wondering what's up for grabs? A Third Eye Tote Bag, a Sausage Fest Pint Glass, and a personalized, signed copy of any book in the Iron Druid Chronicles.

International participants: The giveaway is open to you as well (as long as The Book Depository delivers to your country), though the prize is limited to any book in the Iron Druid Chronicles (not signed).

35 comments:

  1. That's frecking scary. I would have had a heart attack seeing all those dogs coming like that. *hugs* Thanks goodness for the Greek border police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super scary. I can't believe I almost forgot that. Up until then the border police scared me, but they were so nice when that happened. Probably because I was American. They aren't so nice to the Albanians.

      Delete
  2. Heart attack.

    I love that he lives humbly & draws on Earth power through his (I'm sure attractive man) feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you they're totally attractive. I wonder if he'd let me paint his toe nails. I bet he would see the humor in it.

      Delete
  3. I love your answer for #5. I agree that he loves humbly and doesn't flaunt his powers. He definitely wants to stay out of the spotlight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you literally almost did get attacked by wild dogs. That would be beyond scary. I get attacked by spoiled dogs daily....I don't think it is the same thing!

    I think your answer to #5 is spot on!

    Oh at 2100, I would either develop the patience of a saint or become Jack the Ripper LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Scared me to death. I like jumped in front of my daughter which was no easy feat pregnant and sick. Seriously wanted to vomit after that.

      Ya, I think I'd be more like Jack the Ripper. My anger outweighs my patience constantly.

      Delete
    2. hahaha, Felicia! Yeah, I'd be a crazed killer at that age too and no one would seriously be able to blame me.

      Delete
    3. I think it would justifiable homicide...

      You can only put up with so much stupid in one lifetime LOL :)

      Delete
    4. I think our supernatural attorneys could have proved as much. Stupid, stupid people.

      They drive me nuts!

      Delete
  5. OMG!! I'm so glad the police helped chase those dogs away! If they didn't we might not be here on the site with you! totally scary...I would have definitely peed a little bit lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably did, 5 months prego and all. The Greek police used to scare the crap out of me, but after that I loved them. They were so nice. I think it's because they found out I was American. They're not so nice to the Albanians.

      Delete
  6. Hahahahaha that picture!!!! Can't you just see a group of people in line like that? Like a conga line. Only with ass-smelling:) Also, I'm extremely glad you didn't get mauled by wild dogs. I kind of like you all in one piece. Just saying:) TEAM JENNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I was like, I may not mind some ass-smelling if it would help this games situation. Imagine how awkward it would be if you're like talking to someone and a person comes up behind you and shoves his/her head in your ass for a good smell. Awkward.

      Awe! Thanks, Jenny! I'm glad I didn't get mauled either. It didn't look too appealing. There are so many wild dogs in Greece and Albania. Probably more along the border and in Albania. They don't really keep pets for fun there, mostly for work. It's sad even to me and I'm not a huge dog person.

      TEAM JENNY!

      Delete
  7. The dog story is rough. Things can get crazy sometimes when you cross into Eastern Europe. I once had to spend the night in the Bratislava train station...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YIKES! Slovakia! I don't know man, I would have slept with one eye open. Eastern Europeaners aren't scared to be all up in your face. Especially the street urchins. Those taxi drivers drive me nuts. Which is truly a sidenote. LOL!

      Delete
  8. Holy cow, that's a horrible story! My dogs and I were once attacked by two German Shepards and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I can only imagine if I had my kid with me! Thank goodness for police and their batons, huh?

    I've become really intolerant of people--I don't know how Atticus still maintains his positive attitude after that freakin' long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so glad they were there. I think the dogs may have felt those batons in the past because they went a running as soon as the police started running.

      Delete
  9. Ok Jen I love you and all but I would not want to sniff your a**.....I mean Chan might do that for you but not me...LOL....

    And PS- Oh my gosh with the dogs, I think I would have done something out of my a** had that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't deny your love of my arse, Tina. It's just natural. LOL! I love Chan for his sensible ways and he loves me.

      Delete
  10. I think its unanimous, that was a horrific experience with dogs, especially having your little one with you. I love dogs but I poop my panties (sorry is that not very polite) if a pack of dogs stared running towards me. It's hard answering the questions in good concious having read book before isn't it. Definitely agree with no 5. Being humble and not flaunting his powers people underestimate him so then he can strike em where it hurts! (if necessary).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I'm difficult to offend with potty talk (and many other things). I was so scared! I'm pretty sure I burst into tears later. My daughter was of course, unfazed.

      Delete
  11. Your answers are great. Man you have some stories to tell, I would love to hear about Jen vs Albania. I thought I was bad chasing to PHX for a man but you went further. Wow killer dogs! Thank god you don't have to go around and get in line to smell everyone's arse especially in PHX after a hot day and all the sweat has dripped into your crack ( I couldn't resist)
    Yep, I can understand how you can become intolerant of people on Scottsdale because so many of them are phooney, they look and act rich but then they don't pay their bills!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always dread my birthdays, too! I go into them loving them and thinking it will be an awesome day, and then there is always something to mess it up. Dang birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy crap... I've dealt with wild dogs, but I couldn't imagine being pregnant and having a little one at the time... yikes!

    Btw - Heidi and I want you to go take pictures of the Papago Park perverts for us. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG a pack of wild dogs!!! AHHHHH. I would have peed my pants! lol.
    But you made it out of there thankfully!!
    You make a good point about games people play and how tiring it is. I am 30 and I am exhausted as well. As I get older I find myself less and less willing to play games. Just give it to me straight even if the truth hurts. lol. Like you I can't imagine what I feel like at age 2100.... actaully I do. I would probably hit first and ask questions later... LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how kids can be so oblivious to danger, it's awful when you're watiching it comming towards them though, so glad there was help at hand.

    I don't think I'd make it to 2100 I'd go nuts! A friend emailed me a pic this week of a woman slumped in a chair with the caption 'I want to like people, but they're so f*****g stupid' only without the censoring :) made me laugh though as it's funny cos it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  16. GAH! Rabid dogs after my preggers bestie? If only I could go back in time and fling my body over you! I would have done it too. Well, after I passed out from fear. LOL

    I'm sorry to hear you b-days always turn out sucking. That breaks my heart. I'm gonna go get some lotto tickets today then win, then retire you in Hawaii, and I won't forget to hire a full time dentist it have at our disposal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't even consider the long memory thing - well pointed out! I frequently can't remember why I've got up and gone in the kitchen (and that's only a 30 second trip) so 2000 years - I don't stand a chance.
    Scary story about the dogs - did it put you off dogs??
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I've never been a dog's biggest fan, but I'm not scared of them. I think it's because the dogs there aren't exactly like here. Like most of them look wild. It's kinda creepy.

      Delete
  18. Oh when dogs go packing. SCARY! I feel for you! My pack would attack you, but with slobbery kisses! ((HUGS)) for the memory, though!!

    I am so with you on the games thing. I hate those things. I'd rather people be straight forward and not beat around the bush. Even if it hurt. The hurt passes much quicker.

    PS... My birthdays suck too. I don't celebrate them at all. So, we should go out and have a happy UN-birthday celebration!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah, that was a scary experience (#1). I remember I was taking a walk minding my own business and then out of nowhere this dog dashes out from a corner all hyper and his muzzle was too close to my thigh for comfort. I almost thought the dog would be startled enough to react and bit me instead. Good thing that dog didn't and the owner came running and assuring me that he doesn't bite. Still, it was a close call. *whew* I also prefer that people be straightforward about it just don't cry in front of them (lolz) if that person just doesn't see you the same way you do. :D Yes, I like that he doesn't regal the world with his powers and prefers to live quietly.

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails