Friday, March 2, 2012

HOUNDED Read-a-Long Chapters 1 thru 5



1.  Kevin Hearne had the most perfect beginning for this book:  "There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius."  If you were to live for centuries what do you think you would be excited to see?  

Seriously, I have no idea. I don't think I'd be good at long life, I'd probably get all stabby and off someone. But, if I had to say something, I'd love to see (a) the world as culture and that kind of thing intrigues me. And (b) I love to see fashion changes. This is mostly because they crack me up! And besides that, imagine the shoe collection I could have...because you know I'm vain like that. 
click for larger image
But as I am sure that would (probably not) bore me at some point, I believe (c) I'd love to meet someone who could make me laugh and make me see things in a different light. Sometimes life seems monotonous and I would imagine longevity would make it worse, so meeting someone who truly sees life for what it could be and brings that to others, that's what I would love to see.
 
2. In the 2nd chapter we learn about the amulet and its protection powers!  Do you think having met the Morrigan and heard about Aenghus Og that it will be enough to protect Atticus?  I mean the Morrigan has a point about hot chicks coming after him and his defenses might be down! He is very male! 

I think I'm kind of a cheater since I've read the series, but I think that having the Morrigan on his side is going to be a huge plus. I mean, she is the lady of death and if she isn't willing to take him then that's a huge plus for Atticus. Besides, that amulet ROCKS! I mean, it is bound to his aura I think it's going to be a HUGE tool in protecting him from Aenghus Og. 

3. The literary world's coolest dog is introduced in this chapter!  Did you love Oberon immediately?  Show me a picture or describe the type of animal you would love to have as a talking companion! (Cat, Dog, Mouse, Sloth, Horse---what is your pick--pictures please)?



Does Christian Bale count? He's kind of like a bat...

Guess not. 

So, if I could have any talking companion, I'd probably go with a Sand Cat. They weigh about 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds) and live well in desert areas which really works well for me and my desert area! Plus, isn't he adorable? I'm going to name him Kingsly or possibly Perry and we will be the best of friends. And he can cut anyone who attempts to hurt me. :)

4. In this chapter Flidais asked Atticus what his name is and then precedes to ask if anyone actually believes he is Greek?  He says nobody pays attention to names here.  Do you know what your name means and where it comes from?  Or do you have a name you wish had?  Let's talk names!

I seriously used to, but I've kind of forgotten. I think Jennifer is of welsh origin or something like that. I know my maiden name is Irish and I know my married name is Albanian. Hubs has told me what it means, but I can't remember except to say that I feel like Hubs may have tyrannical leader in his blood. Just saying.

 5.  We learn about Atticus' lawyers in this chapter, a rather unique combo!  Without jumping ahead, would you hire a lawyer combination of two supernaturals who on the surface would appear to be natural enemies or at the very least two very Alpha attitudes? What would be the positives and negatives of that decision.

If I were in Atticus' shoes, I would. It would make sense if I were a supernatural to hire supernaturals. Mostly because they'd know how to get me out of sticky situations and I wouldn't have to worry about pretending I wasn't *special* (I am special, people!!). As for the Alpha attitudes, I think it works because of the different species. Besides, Leif  would be my Night Man and Hal can be my Day Guy....it totally works. And Leif has that whole vamp thing going for him. The whole mesmerizing thing would help in said sticky situations. 

As for the negatives, that much testosterone together, especially with Hal being THE Alpha and Leif being who he is (don't want to give it away), I would imagine fights could ensue. However, they seem to compliment each other nicely.   


Awesome questions this week, Felicia! As the book progresses, we're going to hear more about Arizona and the different parts Atticus and Oberon venture into. Below are some pictures I took while I was hiking. Just to give you an idea of what it's like here. :) If you click the pics, I think they'll go to full size. (the bottom 2 are cactus that I thought rather pokey and therefore awesome)


Hope everyone is enjoying the book and we'll see you back next week! (hopefully!)




43 comments:

  1. Christian Bale counts Christian Bale counts! I say he would make a wayyyy better bat companion with his husky batman British accented voice. HOG him bb ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! YUM! Oh, and he is Welsh which is quite a ridiculous little fact that I know because I was kind of obsessed with him. He totally rocked NEWSIES! Christian Bale sings and dances, people! LOL!

      Delete
    2. As I am hoping to hog myself a time machine, we can probably go and meet Mr Bale when he was making Newsies ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh I think Christian Bale counts, he is mostly animal :) I love that cat though so very cute!!!

    I love the pictures of the area and how nice of you to take them. I can see why you live there (other than the weather) because it is soooooooo beautiful :)

    The meaning of the name Jennifer is Fair Phantom Or White Wave
    The origin of the name Jennifer is English
    Alternate spellings: Jenifer, Gennyphir, Gennifer, Ginnifer, Jenn, Jeniffer, Jennipher
    Notes: Originally from the Welsh name Gwynhwyfar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are right about Mr. Bale.

      And thank you, I think it's pretty beautiful, but it's one of those me being partial things because I grew up here. The red rock mountains are my favorite!

      Delete
  3. BAHAHAHA!!! Christian Bale!!! I love it so hard! I NEED to read THIS BOOK!!!! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes you do.

      And Christian Bale....NOM NOM NOM NOM!

      Delete
  4. I've read the series too and agree with you about the Morrigan. She's one scary chick but she seems to like Atticus alive and well. And she especially appreciates his manliness, though she just about kills him when she uses it.

    That sand cat is so cool! How did I not know about this animal? Good to have a protector and friend like that critter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! She totally does almost kill him. That scene makes me laugh so hard I just about die. Although, the snow giant scene I pretty much cried I laughed so hard.

      Delete
  5. Christian Bale is MY faithful companion...sorry chick...you can't have him...lol I've never heard of a sand cat! It looks kind of freaky but I love weird stuff like that :) Me and my roommate in college got fined a lot of money once for housing a potbellied pig in the dorms so that shows what kind of people we are...lol I love Morrigan from what I've read and I can't wait to read more about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andra...*tsk tsk tsk*...He's already here, hanging out with me. He told me I rocked his world. Nuttin' I can do about it.

      LOL!

      How on earth did you house a potbellied pig?! Must've been a cute thing. :)

      Delete
  6. I hate shoe shopping! UGH, it's SO frustrating finding shoes for a size 8.5 or 9 without looking like a clown. I have to go to several stores to find something decent.

    p.s. That cat is so cute! He looks like a Kingsley to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rummanah! I wear the same size as you! LOL! I don't usually have issues finding shoes because most people wear a bit smaller so my size is usually in stock. I never thought my feet were that big, although, in high school I had a friend who wore a size 11, no joke. Then again, she was just under 6 feet tall and she wore like a size 2. C.R.A.Z.Y.

      Delete
  7. Sweetpea!!

    Not only has CB played a bat, he's also bat shit crazy so I think he definitely counts.

    I'm with you on how fun it is to watch fashion evolve. I'm sure sometime in the future, we'll all go back to the Garden of Eden days and just wear leaves over our private bits. Can't wait. LOL

    I love those pics of your backyard. I really need to go visit someday. Change a scenery is good for the soul.

    P.S. Don't go off telling people about my dragon tattoo. I get enough grief with the bee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to comment on the sand cat. He is awesome. And I think he looks like a Kignsly because he rules.

      (and I'm lame)

      Delete
  8. Your pictures make me homesick. I think Papago Park and I remember a story about perverts in the restroom there. Oh my gosh the shoes. Awesome answer. You could like auction them off on ebay. You would be rich! I totally want a sand cat. How is it I have never seen one before.
    I saw it was supposed to be 85 there this weekend. So jealous! I am so homesick right now but come summer I will be laughing as you traipse around in the neat sweat running down your back into your ass crack! You can come visit me then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me! o_o *runs to turn A/C full blast*

      Delete
  9. Love the pictures! I've never been to the southwest, but I love the land.

    I think fashion trends would be pretty cool to witness, too. I mean, think of how much it has changed.

    Love the sand cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is it's own kind of beauty. Not everyone likes it, but I do. Then again, totally partial from growing up here. ;)

      Delete
  10. Ooo Arizona looks kinda spiky! That blue sky is stunning though wish I lived somewhere hot:)
    Not sure I'd want to see the fashions change what if we end up back in the 70's, or end up in space age all in one suits like Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beam me up Scotty! I keep telling Hubs we need to figure out the beaming thing. I want to visit my sisters more often. LOL!

      Fashion cracks me up. Like how the 80's are coming back or the body suits of the 90's or how about spandex pants with foot holders. OH, how about the scrunchi! It's stuff like that I can't stop laughing over. Or curled and fluffed bangs! Oh my!

      And, AZ I love, although the summer is brutal. But that's what A/C is for.

      Delete
  11. I love your choice...Sand Cat...is like the most awesome thing ever. Can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christian Bale? LOL Great answer. Love the kitty. Very fierce. Rawr! ;)

    What I would love to see is YOU in your fashion throughout the centuries. I could so totally see you go from Victorian and have a picture of you in something Goth right next to it. :D

    And since we are both technically in the southwest, can I say... CO is nicer in the summer! *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're evil and you play WAY too dirty! It's true, CO is nicer in the summer, but my winter kicks your summers ass. LOL!

      Delete
  13. "I'd probably get all stabby and off someone"

    I love you. Seriously. And I'm so with you on Christian Bale. Batman = Bat = totally qualifies as a spectacular answer to this question. You are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And....I could totally do "things" with him that I can't with the sand cat. Although, I hear he's kinda bat shit crazy. *ponders*

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, that sand cat is GORGEOUS!
    Long life wouldn't be easy alone, that's for sure. I'd want someone by my side and not have to watch people just keep dying.
    Oh, watching fashion changes would be fun! It already changes so much but being alive to see THAT much change would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great. I just wonder how well I could cope with it. I'm not looking forward to getting super old where I can't walk and can't hear, but I don't think I'd want to live forever.

      Delete
  15. Well now, if we're naming people (Christian Bale) then I might have to rethink my answer... Only kidding - i'll stick with my dawgs.
    I'm sort o cheating too, I've ead the first two and got the third just waiting - very tempting!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo, I LOVED the third! There is this part in it where I laughed so hard I seriously was crying. Awesome!

      Delete
  16. Oh, I want a Sand Cat---BAD! He/She is so adorable! It would probably rip my face off though :o]

    Christian Bale is hot but he's a complete whacko asshat! Trust me, go with George Clooney instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing about the sandcat, but if I could talk to him, then all would be good. He'd only hurt the bad peoples. LOL!

      And for some reason, I'm not surprised that Bale is an asshat. George Clooney seems like a man with indecision. He just plows through the sexy woman. PICK ONE already! :D

      Delete
  17. I need the sand cat! Adorbs! ♥ And I need that shoe collection, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I'm jealous of that shoe collection. Shoes are my kryptonite. As are books. *sigh*

      Delete
  18. First of all, I'm in love with those yellow shoes.

    That sand cat is too freaking cute!!

    *sigh* I want to live in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it here. Although, to be honest, this warm winter is killing me. Why can't we have a little cold? PLEASE....*begs mother nature*

      Delete
  19. The shoes!!!! Can you imgine all those fashion changes? You could collet a pair of shoes for every era and what a collection that would be!!

    And Christian Bale... he most certainly counts. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *daydreams* Shoes would be exceptionally amazing. You know I'd totally have one of those crazy tall pair from Japan! Like from Memoirs of a Geisha. I'd need a whole room to house them. ;D

      Delete
  20. I'm with you on the cheater thing. Read all the books so far but trying to treat it as my first read. That sand cat is damn cute! Kingsly would be a great name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I thought it would be a good literary adorable name for the boy. I keep laughing to myself now because I really want one and I don't see it happening. Although, they're so freaking cute.

      Delete
  21. Dude- I haven't talked to you in forever....JEEZ!! I feel bad missing out on the first week...:( Im at the part when him and Oberon are hunting sheep with that Goddess lady thing and then that whole thing with the officer happens....not very far...I must catch up ;D

    PS- Chan and I were looking at this together and both realized we didn't know those type of cats existed.....

    ReplyDelete

I always love comments, and I read every single one!

Also, this is now designated an award free zone. Although I love awards and I love everyone for thinking of me, I just don't have the time to honor them like they need to be honored. Thank you though for your consideration!

XOXO Jen the Bibliophile

If you liked this, you might like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails